Friday, April 5, 2013

Peter Gutierrez's "Metropolis" Movie Posters

The age of Metropolis is upon us. Don't believe me? We have not one, not two, but three separate print releases for the Fritz Lang film. And you know what? I couldn't be happier. How often do we see a movie from 1927 get this much poster love? I'll go ahead and answer that one: not often enough. Without further ado, I'd like to introduce Peter Gutierrez's stylish Metropolis artwork.

Metropolis Movie Poster (Regular)
Peter Gutierrez
18" x 24" (Screen Print) - Signed and Numbered
$30 - Limited to 90

Metropolis Movie Poster (Metallic Gold Variant)
Peter Gutierrez
18" x 24" (Screen Print) - Signed and Numbered
$40 - Limited to 40

I believe this is the first time I've ever mentioned Peter on Posterocalypse before, but if these prints are any indication of what's to come, it certainly won't be the last. Like a spotlight aimed directly at your peepers, this artwork is bold, bright, and glitzy. It skillfully conveys just how enchanting Brigette Helm was as the dichotomous Marias, a role which would define the rest of her short career. And I love how tactfully Gutierrez depicts Metropolis' Cylon temptress, masking her features under the intense light radiating from the raised chalice' o doom, ominously suggesting the destructive power behind RoboMaria's indefinable siren song. If, like me, you want to learn more about Peter's design, I suggest checking out the Poster Collective's interview with the artist about his intentions and process. But before I retire for the evening, I want to share a few of the film's screenshots that inspired this print.

Metropolis Screenshot

Metropolis Screenshot

Pretty cool, right? Peter Gutierrez's Metropolis artwork goes on sale Friday (4/5) at 9AM PDT through the Poster Collective storefront. Every screen print measures 18" x 24" and is signed and numbered by the artist. For more info on Peter, visit graphic-black.com, dynamicrex.com, and follow @umbrapenumbra. And if you're a fan of this site or of posters in general, head over to postercollective.com and start following @posterpeople on Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

No Trolling, Please.