Thursday, February 23, 2012

Cult Cinema Sunday's "Clerks" and "Blade Runner" Movie Posters

Sheesh! It's been a while, hasn't it? I meant to write about these prints more than a week ago, but life (read: work) has a funny way of forcing you to reprioritize. On the plus side, I do really enjoy getting paid every two weeks and immediately spending that money on more posters. So, there's that. Now, where was I? Oh yeah, so Cult Cinema Sunday is a monthly film night in Hull (as in Kingston upon Hull) that recently started a poster project with some local artists and designers. Noinch, noinch.

Clerks Movie Posters
Snapper 52
16.5" x 11.7" - Signed and Numbered
£6 - Limited to 100


Clerks Movie Poster
Domanic Li
16.5" x 11.7" - Signed and Numbered
£6 - Limited to 100

Clerks Movie Poster
Coren Macniven
16.5" x 11.7" - Signed and Numbered
£6 - Limited to 100

I have a love / hate relationship with Kevin Smith. I think he's a really fascinating guy to listen to, but the majority of his films don't work for me. Thankfully, Clerks does. All of the artists here have captured a piece of what makes the movie such a success - Snapper 52's design reminds me of Smith's humble beginnings with its DIY aesthetic, while Coren and Domanic's prints commemorate the Jersey locale that became so iconic. And I found it interesting how all the prints touched on the film's black and white photography. Everything mentioned in this post is currently available through the Cult Cinema Sunday storefront for £6 each. The posters are signed and numbered, limited to an edition of 100, and measures 16.5" x 11.7".

Blade Runner Movie Poster
James Fenwick
16.5" x 11.7" - Signed and Numbered
£6 - Limited to 50

Blade Runner Movie Poster
Domanic Li
16.5" x 11.7" - Signed and Numbered
£6 - Limited to 50

Blade Runner is one of my all-time favorite movies. I'm guessing it's also one of yours. It's just really, really, really good. When I first watched Ridley Scott's science fiction neo-noir masterpiece, I wanted to explore that world so badly. It's probably a good thing I couldn't, because something tells me a ten year old without any sort of guardian or parent around would not fare well in its suffocatingly smokey neon streets, but I was totally entranced by what Ridley had created. Out of the two prints, James Fenwick's has got to be my favorite - I just love the poster's otherworldly palette and James' mix of detailed line work and purposefully turbid shading. Bottom line: both of these designs are fitting tributes to easily the coolest film of the 1980s (there, I said it). Domanic Li and James Fenwick's Blade Runner prints are currently available through Cult Cinema Sunday. Both posters measure 16.5" x 11.7", are limited to an edition of 50, and cost £6.

No comments:

Post a Comment

No Trolling, Please.