Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Best Twenty Posters of 2011

Wow. This was a really, really, REALLY difficult post for me to compile, and there's a pretty good chance that if you asked me what my favorite posters from 2011 were a week from now, you might get something slightly different. With that said, I think I've created a pretty kickass list and, believe it or not, they're not all Mondo releases! When putting this together, the only restriction I imposed on myself was that all eligible artwork had to actually be purchasable at some point last year. Now onto the good stuff!

1. AKIRA Movie Posters by Tyler Stout

Akira Movie Poster (Regular)
Tyler Stout
24" x 36" - Signed and Numbered
Limited to 180

Akira Movie Poster (Variant)
Tyler Stout
24" x 36" - Signed and Numbered
Limited to 80

I can't get over how stunning these prints are! Tyler Stout has somehow created something that is 100% Tyler Stout, and yet completely different than anything he's ever attempted before. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of his much sought after The Thing and Robocop prints, but this, THIS, is the Stout artwork I long to own. The amount of stuff he was able to pack into these works of art is mind blowing and totally reminds me of the insanity that is Tetsuo's telekinetically rebuilt trash arm. Love it!

2. MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO Movie Posters by Olly Moss (Review)

My Neighbor Totoro Movie Poster (Regular)
Olly Moss
20" x 36" - Numbered
Limited to 420

My Neighbor Totoro Movie Poster (Japanese Variant)
Olly Moss
20" x 36" - Numbered
Limited to 170

Mondo? Olly Moss? Studio Ghibli? Hallelujah! Olly absolutely nailed the look and feel of this Miyazaki classic, taking care to balance beauty, adorableness, and the almighty forest spirit Totoro. Take note folks: this is how you do a variant. By the way, I recently rewatched My Neighbor Totoro. So good!

3. THE MUMMY Movie Posters by Martin Ansin (Review)

The Mummy Movie Poster (Regular)
Martin Ansin
24" x 36" - Numbered
Limited to 385

The Mummy Movie Poster (Hieroglyphic Variant)
Martin Ansin
24" x 36" - Numbered
Limited to 150

My love affair with Martin Ansin's work continues and this was by far my favorite piece from him in 2011. Not surprisingly, Martin packs so much realism and detail into the mummy's bandaged and shriveled face, that the idea of touching the poster's surface gives me the willies. And remember what I said about the Totoro variant? Well, it holds true for this print as well. Yes, those are actual hieroglyphics people!

4. NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD Movie Posters by Grzegorz Domaradzki (Review)

Night of the Living Dead Movie Poster (Regular)
Grzegorz Domaradzki
24" x 36" - Numbered
Limited to 250

Night of the Living Dead Movie Poster (Glow in the Dark - Silver Variant)
Grzegorz Domaradzki
24" x 36" - Numbered
Limited to 100

Grzegorz Domaradzki is an artist to watch out for. He's already done some BRILLIANT vector movie concept posters, but this was his first film poster design to actually become a screen print, and it's a pretty amazing one at that. I guess I've got a thing for skulls, because there's not one, but two posters on this list that come together to form the outline of a skull. Very creepy. By the way, a few of the regular versions are still available for sale through Kryptonite Prints & Apparel.

5. DUNE Movie Poster by Kevin Tong (Review)

Dune Movie Poster
Kevin Tong
18" x 24" - Signed and Numbered
Limited to 100

I had to pick this print up on eBay after it sold out in the blink of an eye, but the inflated price was well worth it. Seriously, this poster is loaded to the brim with desert, sandworms, and backstabbing nobles (oh my). And no matter what you think about the film Dune (I'll admit it's kind of crazy and not a total success), you've got to applaud Kevin Tong for perfectly capturing the insanity of David Lynch's adaptation.

6. HELLRAISER Movie Posters by Florian Bertmer

Hellraiser Movie Poster (Regular)
Florian Bertmer
22.5" x 31.5" - Numbered
Limited to 245

Hellraiser Movie Poster (Variant)
Florian Bertmer
22.5" x 31.5" - Numbered
Limited to 70

Nobody depicts satanic stuff better than Florian Bertmer. That's just a fact. His artwork makes my skin crawl (in a good way), which is why I'm fairly certain Florian has at some point either made a pact with the Prince of Darkness or solved the Lament Configuration, thereby gaining access to the forbidden arts. This was my favorite poster from the Mondo Mystery Movie LA film series by leaps and bounds, and that's saying a lot given all the talent involved.

7. FRANKENSTEIN Movie Poster by Drew Struzan (Review)

Frankenstein Movie Poster
Drew Struzan
15" x 36" - Signed and Numbered
Limited to 325

It's freaking Drew Struzan! Of course he was going to make the top ten. His gorgeous Frankenstein poster reminds us why he's still the undisputed king of the illustrated one sheet and pays tribute to a monster movie classic. Following Stout's Akira print, Struzan's Frankenstein is probably the most sought after poster in my top twenty.

8. ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST Movie Posters by Oliver Barrett (Review)

Once Upon a Time in the West Movie Poster (Dawn Edition - Regular)
Oliver Barrett
16" x 26" - Numbered
Limited to 170

Once Upon a Time in the West Movie Poster (Dusk Edition - Variant)
Oliver Barrett
16" x 26" - Numbered
Limited to 60

I love these posters! Oliver Barrett is an artist I've been following since his amazing American Splendor print, but I think I may have found my new favorite when it comes to his body of work. And remember what I was saying about my subconscious and altogether creepy fascination with skulls being masterfully inserted into movie artwork (please refer to number four on this list)? Well, here's the second (and final) creative cranium mentioned in this post. These are completely sold out through Tommy Good, but a few are still available for purchase through Oliver's store and Dark City Gallery.

9. THE BURNING Movie Poster by Phantom City Creative (Review)

The Burning Movie Poster
Phantom City Creative
24" x 36" - Numbered
Limited to 250

Phantom City Creative has been one of those consistently amazing design studios since day one. If I'm being completely honest with myself, I'm sure I could have included several Phantom City designs in this list, but this was by far my favorite poster of theirs in 2011. The Burning is a ridiculous 80s slasher that features a not-yet-bald Jason Alexander, but I'll be damned if this poster doesn't somehow make the movie a more respectable work of art just by association. Beautiful design. Perfect execution. Blood rendered in biblical proportions. Flawless.

10. “FIGURE 1: VULPES VULPES” Art Print by Rich Kelly (Review)

"Figure 1: Vulpes Vulpes" Art Print
Rich Kelly
16.5" x 23.5" - Signed and Numbered
Limited to 100
Inspired By: The Fantastic Mr. Fox

Fantastic Mr. Fox isn't my all-time favorite Wes Anderson flick, that honor goes to The Life Aquatic, but it's definitely up there. This amazing Rich Kelly art print inspired by Anderson's lone animated creation is just a joy to look at. Kelly masterfully depicts the titular Mr. Fox, but also manages to comment on the stop motion production method with gorgeous results.

11. "THE OPEN ROAD" Art Print by Scott Campbell (Review)

"The Open Road" Art Print
Scott Campbell
12" x 12" - Signed and Numbered
Limited to 50
Inspired By: Easy Rider

I wasn't sure if this was ever going to be an actual print, since the above artwork was originally part of a larger movie poster for the All Tomorrow's Parties / Criterion Collection screening of Easy Rider, but here we are. Scott Campbell's amazing "The Open Road" poster is one of the jewels in my collection and is still available for purchase through Gallery 1988.

12. THE LIFE AQUATIC Movie Poster by Joshua Budich (Review)

The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou Movie Poster
Joshua Budich
24" x 36" - Signed & Numbered
Limited to 150

Joshua Budich has been an artist that has consistently amazed me and continues to one-up himself with every new poster release. Created for Spoke Art's awesome "Bad Dads" show, Budich's Life Aquatic poster conveys the quirky, colorful, strangely hilarious brilliance of Steve Zissou and company. Highlights include: Seu Jorge playing guitar in the lower right corner, the candy-striped seahorse mucking around under the title, and an angry gun-toting Steve Zissou front and center.

13. THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE Movie Poster by Jeff Proctor (Review)

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Jeff Proctor
24" x 36" - Numbered
Limited to 345

Jeff Proctor really made a name for himself this year with a number of amazing Mondo posters including, but not limited to: Hobo with a Shotgun, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Dawn of the Dead, and of course The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. This print is utterly horrifying and practically exudes unyielding Texan summer heat...and chainsaw wielding psychopaths. That too.

14. FAIL-SAFE Movie Poster by Lloyd Stas (Review)

Fail-Safe Movie Poster
Lloyd Stas
18" x 24" - Numbered
Limited to 35

Lloyd Stas' brilliant Fail-Safe print combines the obvious and the subtle with amazing results. I think it's safe to say that even if you haven't seen Sidney Lumet's Cold War what if film, you can still enjoy the obvious care and attention paid to this artwork during its conception and creation. Lloyd Stas is another young artist to be on the look out for.

15. DEATHRAP Movie Poster by Jacob Van Loon (Review)

Deathtrap Movie Poster
Jacob Van Loon
18" x 24" - Numbered
Limited to 35

Much like Lloyd Stas' Fail-Safe print, Jacob Van Loon's Deathtrap poster was part of the Kingdom of Nonsense curated "The Machines Are Winning" art show. When I first saw Jacob's design I was immediately drawn in by the confusingly convoluted intertwining of machine and Cronenbergian sentient life form. Is anybody else getting a vague Naked Lunch vibe from this print? If this is any indication of what we can expect form Jacob Van Loon, I hope he starts doing a lot more film-related stuff in the near future.

16. FANTASTIC MR. FOX Movie Poster by Randy Ortiz (Review)

“We Got the Tail, but We Missed the Fox” Fantastic Mr. Fox Movie Poster
Randy Ortiz
18" x 24" - Includes a certificate of authenticity
Limited to 75

Randy Ortiz is somebody I didn't have the slightest familiarity with prior to 2011, but am now avidly following. It's even been intimated that he might do some work with Mondo in the near future - so that's cool. With his Fantastic Mr. Fox print, Randy has crafted something that's minimalist, but by no means simple. I can't wait to see what else this guy has up his sleeves.

17. THEY LIVE Movie Posters by Shepard Fairey (Review)

They Live Movie Poster (Mondo Edition - Regular)
Shepard Fairey
18" x 24" - Signed and Numbered
Limited to 500

They Live Movie Poster (OBEY Edition - Variant)
Shepard Fairey
18" x 24" - Signed and Numbered
Limited to 500

How could I not include Fairey's only Mondo movie poster on my list? I don't think there's a single artist better equipped to handle John Carpenter's alien invasion meets 1984 by way of Fahrenheit 451 film than street artist Shepard Fairey. This goes without saying, but the print is very pretty up close.

18. PAN'S LABYRINTH Movie Posters by Aaron Horkey

Pan's Labyrinth Movie Poster (Regular)
Aaron Horkey
15" x 37.5" - Signed and Numbered
Limited to 420

Pan's Labyrinth Movie Poster (Variant)
Aaron Horkey
15" x 37.5" - Signed and Numbered
Limited to 125

If I had to choose (please don't make me), I'd have to say that Pan's Labyrinth is my favorite Guillermo del Toro film. It's a wonderful story that blends the real and the fantastical, and is as horrifying as it is beautiful on both counts. Aaron Horkey seems to understand that and has created a print that's gorgeous to look at, but also a bit disturbing.

19. SWAMP THING Movie Posters by Florian Bertmer (Review)

Swamp Thing Movie Poster (Regular)
Florian Bertmer
24" x 36" - Numbered
Limited to 230

Swamp Thing Movie Poster (Variant)
Florian Bertmer
24" x 36" - Numbered
Limited to 90

If you couldn't tell, I'm a huge Bertmer fan. In fact, he's the only artist on this list mentioned twice. Florian created two insanely exceptional posters this year, and while I slightly preferred his Hellraiser posters over his Swamp Thing prints, they're both pretty much perfect.

20. THE FLY Art Print by Dan Mumford (Review)



Dan Mumford's horror movie art print series has been an absolute blast to follow. His organic and stringy line work is the perfect match to Cronenberg's terrifyingly disgusting remake (I use the word "remake" in the loosest sense here). Brundlefly has never looked more gooey, and yes, that was most definitely a compliment.

Well, that's the list! What did you think? What were some of your favorite posters?

5 comments:

  1. I'm digging that Dune poster, great stuff.

    Nice list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rob! Yeah, 2011 was a pretty great year for movie poster art. Kevin Tong's "Dune" print is so detailed and textured up close, you can practically feel the sand in your eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. +1 on all of Dan Mumfords series. I've yet to pick up The Fly, it was the one I like least so far, probably because I've not really seen the film. Also really looking forward to more work by Grzegorz Domaradzki. Picked up the regular straight away and when it finally arrived I went to see if I could get the variant but it was sold out. It would be amazing if he did a series of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally agree! Mumford's horror series has just been awesome. I would have included Dan's "The Thing" print, because that's my absolute favorite of his, but that was from 2010. I second what you're saying about Domaradzki - I want more from this guy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also I didn't even notice the skull shape! I was too taken with with beautiful illustrations. In the meantime I'm just waiting for the next Mumford print to drop.

    ReplyDelete

No Trolling, Please.