Tuesday, May 31, 2011

John Vogl's "Conquest of the Planet of the Apes" Movie Poster

I've got to admit, the only Planet of the Apes movies I've ever seen are the much loved original 1968 film and the much less loved 2001 Tim Burton remake. So it's with a somewhat less than stellar knowledge of the Planet of the Apes universe that I proudly and loudly praises Bill Vogl's Conquest of the Planet of the Apes movie poster.

Conquest of the Planet of the Apes

I'm not sure what I like more about this poster, the downtrodden angry monkey janitor, or the poster's brilliant execution and remarkable detail that seem to come almost effortlessly from artist Bill Vogl. I guess the former was in large part due to the latter, huh? In a lot of ways I'm reminded of the work of Rich Kelly, both use a sort of pencil-sketch line work to create their characters and seem to operate with a mostly muted palette. But while Kelly creates exaggerated characters, often with cartoonishly long limbs, Vogl's work appears to be a bit more grounded in reality (yes, I realize I'm talking about a monkey janitor here). I'm really impressed with Bill Vogl's restraint too. Another artist may have tried to add buildings, crowds and crazy monkey rebellion action, and it might have worked too, but there's something to be said about keeping a design simple, clean and straight to the point. Oh yeah, and I love the banana.

Vogl's Conquest of the Planet of the Apes poster is available through his online storefront for $20. The gorgeous signed and numbered print measures 18" x 24" and is limited to an edition of 45. To learn more about this talented artist head over to his website at thebungaloo.com and his BigCartel store (there's a lot of great stuff there - hint: behold his Metamorphosis, Mass Hysteria and My Chemical Romance prints)!

No comments:

Post a Comment

No Trolling, Please.