Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Alex Pardee's "A Nightmare on Elm Street" and "Scream" Movie Posters

My horror geek brain just imploded on itself! Alex Pardee, who I'm pretty sure I've never covered on this blog before, has created two masterpieces in the form of his Scream and A Nightmare on Elm Street posters. I'll be brief about it, because I've still got quite a bit of packing to do, but I'm completely in love with both of these posters, which are part of Mondo's Wes Craven Director's Series.

A Nightmare on Elm Street

This is probably my favorite of the two, but that's because A Nightmare on Elm Street played a huge role in my childhood (that's probably not very healthy). I still remember being the only kid in school with a subscription to Fangoria and making my mom take me to see the tongue-in-cheek Freddy's Dead (complete with ridiculous 3D). This poster depicts Johnny Depp's (that's right, A Nightmare on Elm Street was Depp's first on screen credit) supernatural and technically brilliant death scene (they created an upside down room to make the blood look like it was shooting upwards). I could go on an on about how this poster kicks incredible ass, but I'll just sum it up by saying Alex Pardee's twisted visual style fits in perfectly with the terrifying world Wes Craven created in his 1984 classic. Pardee's A Nightmare on Elm Street poster will be available on Thursday (4/14) through Mondo for a very reasonable $35. The print measures 16" x 24" and is limited to an edition of 160. Be sure to follow @MondoNews for the exact release time (I recommend waking up early that day). And if you love A Nightmare on Elm Street as much as I do, I highly recommend picking up the amazing documentary Never Sleep Again: The Elm Street Legacy. If you're digging either of these posters you should also be sure to check out Pardee's blog and online store.

Scream

I showed this to my girlfriend and she immediately shook her head. "Nope. There's no way that's going anywhere near our walls." But you know what? I think if she sees it in person she'll change her mind immediately…or she'll make me put it in my flat file, either way I'm going for it. Pardee's grotesque Scream poster is not for the faint of heart, but then again, a lot of what Alex dreams up isn't. As usual, whenever I see an Alex Pardee print or painting I know I'm in for some incredibly detailed work. I mean look at that viscera, it's absolutely disgusting, and that's a very good thing in this case. Much like his Nightmare poster, Alex's disturbing Scream print measures 16" x 24", costs $35 and will be available this coming Thursday (4/14) through Mondo. The poster is limited to an edition of 140. Wow, I can't believe Scream is already 15 years old. What's your favorite scary movie?

My final post this week will be dedicated to Phantom City Creative's insane Back to 80's poster series. I can't wait!

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Nightmare on Elm street poster! Great work by Alex Pardee

    ReplyDelete

No Trolling, Please.