Sunday, January 16, 2011

Gallery 1988's "Multiplayer" Poster Exhibit Part 1

Gallery 1988, a gallery dedicated to pop-culture themed artwork, recently opened a new location in Venice, California and has started things off with a bang, or rather a beep.  Their first exhibit, titled "Multiplayer," is a celebration of video games and the impact they've made on a multitude of artists through a collection of limited edition prints. I've decided to post a few of my favorite pieces that still happen to be available (note: by the time you're reading they might be sold out).

Sam and Max - Drew Millward
This delightfully twisted poster highlights all of the things that made me fall in love with Sam & Max.  The cute and cuddly anthropomorphized freelance detectives live in a twisted world, a world that we all got to experiences through the many Sam & Max games, comics and cartoons.  Millward's "Sam and Max" 19" x 19" art print is available at Gallery 1988's storefront for $40.

Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right B A Start - Jeff Proctor
Jeff Proctor's "Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right B A Start" art print is a celebration of not only one of my favorite games (Contra) as a young man, but also of one of the most cited cheat codes (referring to the title of course). I think this print also shows that Jeff Proctor can do a lot more than zombies, which I really don't think there was any doubt about anyway. This signed and numbered 18" x 24" screen print, limited to an edition of 50, costs only $40 and can be purchased through Gallery 1988's storefront.

Which Way To Dr. Wily? - Markku Metso
I love this print and I really have no idea why. Actually, I take that back. I love this print because it's absolutely beautiful.  Even though I don't completely understand the reference that's being made I love Markku's style.  It reminds me of Jay Ryan, but with a bit more detail, in other words - I really like it. This wonderful 15.5" x "16.75 Mega Man 2 inspired giclĂ©e print is available for a low $30 through Gallery 1988.

Kill Screen - Rich Kelly
This King of Kong inspired illustration is the last print I'm highlighting in this post, but it's a doozy.  Kelly's angular style really captures the overly confident Mitchell and the mousy underdog Wiebe, and very much capitalizes on the film's humor.  I've always been a fan of Rich Kelly's muted earth tones and am once again completely satisfied.  This 18" x 24" print is available for purchase right now, is limited to an edition of 100 and costs $30.

To see the rest of the amazing artwork featured in the "Multiplayer" exhibit head over to Gallery 1988's website.  You won't be disappointed.  Game on!

No comments:

Post a Comment

No Trolling, Please.